Finance, Economics And Accounting
The National Certificate Finance, Economics and Accounting is a Finance, Economics and Accounting qualification at each of Levels 2,3 and 4 of the NQF. This qualification is designed to provide both the theory and practice of finance, economics and accounting.
The practical component of study may be offered in a real workplace environment or in a simulated workplace environment. It will provide students with an opportunity to experience work situations during the period of study.
For entry into the National Certificate Finance, Economics and Accounting at NQF Level 2, you require:
- A year end school report for Grade 9, 10, 11 or 12, or
- An NQF Level 1 qualification, or
- An approved bridging programme designed for the specific purpose to access NQF Level 2 , or
- A Recognition of Prior Learning (RLP) assessment to meet the basic requirements for access to NQF Level 2.
In order to obtain a National Certificate Finance, Economics and Accounting, a student is required to study a total of 7 subjects. These include 3 fundamental subjects and 4 vocational subjects, of which 3 are compulsory and 1 is optional.
The 3 fundamental subjects are:
- Language-which must be the language
- Mathematics/Mathematical Literacy
- Life Orientation
The vocational subjects in the National Certificate Finance, Economics and Accounting are:
- Applied Accounting
- Economic Environment
- Financial Management
- New Venture Creation
These subjects are offered at each of the different NQF levels of study in the National Certificate Finance, Economics and Accounting qualification.
What skills will I gain
The holder of the National Certificate Finance, Economics and Accounting will be able to:
- Perform bookkeeping duties
- Keep records of wages, salaries, petty cash, Value Added Tax (VAT), reconciliations
- Prepare financial statements
- Manage budgets, analyze finances of the business etc
The National Certificate in Finance, Economics and Accounting provides an opportunity to access careers in any of the sectors listed below:
- Private and Public Accounting
- Financial Services
- Investment Broking