Civil Engineering & Building Construction
The National Certificate Civil Engineering and Building Construction is a Civil Engineering qualification at each of Level s 2, 3 and 4 of the NQF. This qualification is designed to provide both the theory and practice of Civil Engineering and Building Construction.
The practical component of study may be offered in a real workplace environment. It will provide students with an opportunity to experience work situations during the period of study.
Minimum Entry Requirements
For entry into the National Certificate Civil Engineering and Building Construction at NQF Level 2, you required:
- A year and school report from Grade 9, 10, 11 or 12, or
- An NQF Level 1 qualification, or
- An approved bridging programme designed for the specific purpose to access to access NQF Level 2, or
- A Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessment to meet the requirements for access to NQF Level 2
In order to obtain a National Certificate Civil Engineering and Building Construction, a student is required to study a total of 7 subjects. These include 3 fundamentals subjects and 4 vocational subjects, of which 3 are compulsory and 1 is optional.
The 3 fundamental subjects are:
- Language – which must be the language of teaching and learning
- Life Orientation
The vocational subjects in Civil Engineering and Building Construction are:
- Construction Planning
- Plant and Equipment
- Materials or
- Carpentry and roof work or
These subjects are offered each of the different NQF levels of study in the National Certificate Civil Engineering and Building Construction qualification.
The holder of the National Certificate Civil Engineering and Building Construction will be able to:
- Participate in the construction of roads, bridges, dams, railways, houses, etc.
- Take part in designing and construction of tunnels, roads, factories, reservoirs, etc.
- Participate in the erection of reinforced concrete, structure steel, timber and masonry structure etc.
The National Certificate Civil Engineering and Building Construction qualification provides an opportunity to access careers in any one of the sectors listed below.
- Architectural Technology
- Drainage Inspection
- Industrial Designing
- Quantity Surveying
- Town Regional Planning
- Sanitation Engineering
- Road Construction Engineering
- Civil Construction Engineering
- Building Construction